Return

Return to Countryville

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Story Behind The Song - Run Woman Run

Very few song titles are hard to repeat but according to Tammy Wynette, her 1970 hit. "Run Woman Run" was one that was.
According to Tammy, "I liked that song the first time I heard it. It was different from what I had been doing but it's a very pretty song. The song was saying about the same things I had been singing about—but in a different way. But the title was hard to say. I'd get on stage and tell the audience that I was going to do my new record, "One Woman One," because "Run Woman Run" was just a tongue-twister for me."
Epic Records was worried that "Run Woman Run might trigger another backlash from feminist groups, since the content was so close to "Stand by Your Man." So the label bought a full page ad in Billboard Magazine which included an apology to the women's liberation movement.
Wynette added," I had no idea that what I was singing in those songs was controversial because that was the way I was raised. And when a man said something, well that was the way it was. That was the way of life."
"Run Woman Run" entered the country charts September 12th, 1970 and was in the number one spot the week of October 24th and stuck there for two weeks.
It was her 13th charted song and her 9th number one.
The song was written by Dan H offman, Ann Booth, and Duke Goff and produced by Billy Sherrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return

Return to Countryville