Return

Return to Countryville

Monday, March 16, 2009

Paisley Talks About 'Idol' Ambitions

From Tennessean music writer Peter Cooper:
Brad Paisley wrapped his Paisley Party tour Saturday night at Sommet Center, but he figures he's got time for one more big public appearance before wife (and According to Jim actress) Kimberly Williams-Paisley gives birth to their second child (due sometime in the next few weeks).
So Brad will be on the American Idol show Wednesday night, along with former Idol winner Carrie Underwood and big-voiced country hit-maker Randy Travis. And Brad, to be sure, is taking all this quite seriously.
"I'm going to compete," he says. "I'm going for it. I've got to see if I have what it takes. You know, I've always wondered."
Trouble is, Brad is both too old and too famous to compete on the show. Dang the luck. But he will be singing his new single, "Then," for the Idol hopefuls and for a national TV audience. For their part, Carrie and Randy will duet on "I Told You So." Randy will also serve as a "mentor" on the Tuesday show. (Yep, American Idol is such a big deal that it's on two straight nights.)
The country concentration comes during Idol's "Opry Week."
Brad is also working on upcoming album American Saturday Night, and he's planning an American Saturday Night summer tour that will shatter expectations by often taking place on nights other than Saturdays. Any worries that the faltering economy will give potential ticket-buyers a bad case of the Mondays?
"No, it's actually looking pretty good," Brad says. "I remember in September, when I was looking out at full houses but kept seeing bad news about the economy, that I started bracing for impact. But I think that things are going well enough in my career right now that my good fortune is outweighing what's going on.
"We've kept our prices low, and we won't be raising prices during 2009 at all, and what I'm seeing is that people really, really want to go to concerts and have a good time right now," he says. "They may skip the trip to Myrtle Beach this summer, but they're still going to shows."
This edition of "What's Up With Brad Paisley?" has been brought to you by the Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Return

Return to Countryville